Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Yesterday afternoon, while waiting for Aaron's sport's class to end at school, I watched as one of the many classes that was going on at that same time was letting out. I noticed how several people were gathered around one man and talking for a while with him, while their kids ran all around them. After a few minutes the man knealt down and spoke with one of the kids. He then told him he was doing a great job and turned to leave. That's when I noticed the collar around the man's neck and realized that he was the priest that teaches Catholic Religion at Aaron's school. It's an optional class thankfully, and not everyone chooses to have their kids take this class. But sadly, many do. As I watched the priest walk away from the school, family after family would stop to talk with him and greet him with, "Hola Padre...(hello, Father)". My heart broke, both for this priest and for the people who seemed so desperate to have a word with him and for their children who are being taught a lie at such a young age! It's moments like this that you seem to feel the spiritual oppression the strongest. It's so easy to become overwhelmed at times by the huge task before us. But I am reminded that it's our job to tell them and their choice to make. I do at least want to be sure that those around me have the chance to hear and make that choice!! Meanwhile, I am so thankful for those that do listen and whose lives are changed. One at a time.

3 comments:

Pilar said...

I was pretty surprise with kayla's class. Over there in Gijon religion class pretty much had half the kids in the class and the optional had the other half. but this year in Kayla's class only her and one other girl is taking the optional, everyone else has religion. I felt that same burden then. But there is a reason why God has placed us where He has and I think our kids can be a great testimony in those schools. What a big responsability for such little kids :). But what a great way for us to use to teach them what being a missionary is. :)

Shane and Kristy Davis said...

So sad! I'll be praying for you and your family as you share God's word.

Side note... little girls wear hair bows there???

Deanna said...

haha..yes, they do wear hair bows here sometimes. No lacy socks and not too many frilly dresses, but bows are good. = )